Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dutch's New Trick

If it happens once I assume it's a one-time thing. When it happens again I know it's here to stay.

The other morning I went in to get Dutch and found him standing up in his crib, smiling, and... diaper-less. He had somehow pulled his diaper off and it lay in the bed next to him. I have no idea how long his diaper had been off, all I know is I had no mess to clean up THANK GOODNESS. I made sure that he always wore a onesie or pants to bed instead of just a t-shirt and thought that I had outsmarted my one-year-old.

Apparently I'm not as smart as I think I am.

I always feed Dutch in nothing but a diaper because he's a MESSY eater and it makes less laundry for me to do. Yes, I'm just that lazy. Anyway, after lunch today I put him out to play with just his diaper on while I finished getting ready to go run errands. I came into the doorway and saw the most bizarre dance I've ever seen in my life. This is how it goes (imagine your favorite high-beat music behind it):
  • Dutch tugs twice on his diaper fastener
  • Turns in a circle to see if it worked (imagine a dog chasing his tail)
  • Tugs twice on the same diaper fastener
  • Turns in a circle a little faster
  • Tugs harder a few more times
  • Turns as fast as he can
  • Repeats until diaper magically comes off
  • Notices Mama watching and smiles really big
So now I have to keep pants on him all the time, until the day he learns how to take those off. I'm trying to stay one step ahead, but he's too smart for me!

1 comment:

Cari said...

That's hilarious! I had some friends whose 1 year old would bring them a roll of duck tape every night as part of her bed time routine. They would then wrap the tape twice around the diaper so that she couldn't find the end. Because before that, when they found her, there was a BIG mess. And more than once! Amazingly, even though my kids did all kinds of crazy, this is one we missed. They just run around naked now.