Saturday, December 20, 2008

Preparing for Christmas

This will be the fifth Christmas that Chris and I have celebrated as a married couple and Dutch's first. I have had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit because some of my favorite parts of the season are decorating, baking, writing a family newsletter and shopping for gifts; none of which I've been able to do.

Last night I sat very still and watched the fire in the stove downstairs and thought about all of the things that I am so grateful for: I have a husband who is willing to be broke right now so that we can be better prepared for life in the long run (and who is so handsome, to boot!). I have a son who is beautiful, happy, and the most well-behaved baby I've ever heard of. I have a dog who has every reason in the world to be bitter and hate people, but has yet to find a person he doesn't love wholeheartedly. I have in-laws who are willing to let us invade their house so that we can afford to stay for as long as possible. I have family spread through this entire world who I still manage to stay close to.

While I am still having a hard time feeling the Christmas spirit, I am trying to keep that attitude of gratitude in my heart. I wish I had the money to spend on my boys and could buy them everything they want and need, but I can't. I wish for so many things that are impossible, or not possible this year, but I can't dwell on that.

This is the only Christmas I'm going to get this year and I'm not going to waste it by dwelling on the negatives.