Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pregnancy Complaint - Worst Doctor's Visit Ever

Okay, so it wasn't the actual visit that was the worst. I have a really nice doctor, and she has really nice nurses. But the absolute worst doctor's appointment in pregnancy is the one where you have to get checked for gestational diabetes (followed by the very first one where they draw out vial after vial of blood; in hopes of draining you completely, I think).

Yesterday I had to drink the yucky orange drink (SO not good for my already upset tummy), sit for an hour where I hoped to be able to read, but the TV in the waiting room was on WAY too loud, then get 3 vials of blood drawn. I've really liked the phlebotomist that's drawn my blood in the past because she's been able to get a vein right away and get me in and out and on my way. This time I had a different chick and she of course complained about my veins and had to stick me a couple of times before she could draw the blood. Not fun. Then I had to go BACK to my doctor's office to get my rhogam shot. It's one of those shots that sort of burns going in. Not fun again.

So, in review, I got to do some of my favorite things yesterday: drink orange-flavored sugar, get blood drawn by someone who wasn't as good as I'd hoped, and get a shot that left me with a sore bum! Hopefully everything turns out fine though. That's one way I've been really blessed - Jack is a healthy guy who likes to move! He's my little Jackhammer. (And yes, you can absolutely expect me to pun his name for the entirety of the poor kid's life.)

3 comments:

Cari said...

Poor Jack.

And poor you. The yucky orange drink always made me sick. I'm so sorry! And I love you!

Grandma Bailey said...

When I got tested when I was pregnant with Carianne, they gave it to me in coffee. I told them I didn't drink coffee or tea (before they handed it to me in the first place). The nurse got really mad at me and made me drink it straight up. Try that! I was so nauseated that I was sitting with a garbage can between my knees while I threw up between getting blood drawn (oh and then you had to do urine tests too!). That ranks as my most un-fun visit ever. I do have a worse one but this one was up there.

Shelley said...

A shot, blood draw and glucose on the same day while you are pregnant should be illegal! On the up side, it's over!