Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Soapbox Rant

Please note: If comments get too heated or political I will delete them.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of my friends complaining about the healthcare reform.  Now, I'm not going to get into what I think about it, and I hope you won't either.  The thing that's upsetting me about it is the language they're using.  People saying things like, "I don't work hard to pay for someone else's healthcare" or "People are just too lazy to help themselves" or "Why should I take care of them when they won't take care of themselves?"

Not to be overly dramatic, but these are sort of heartbreaking responses to anything.  Everyone needs help sometime (and I'm not just talking about healthcare).  Chris and I, despite our best efforts to be self-sufficient, despite our best-laid plans, have had to ask for money at times.  We are not irresponsible people frittering our money away on booze and cigarettes.  We're just a struggling family who needs help getting from point A to point B.

There are people all over the world who work hard and have very little to show for it.  There are folks who will never be able to have more than what they have now.  They were born into a poor family and they'll die in a poor family.  No matter what they do through their lives they'll end up just as poor as when they started.

I've been thinking a lot about service and charity and all those kinds of things.  I've decided it's not my place to judge whether or not the bum I give $5 to is going to buy food or drugs.  The fact that I had the best intentions is enough for me.  Maybe that's too rose-colored for some of you, but it's how I feel.  I can't judge what that person needs, but I can help the best I can to see they get it.

Let's try, just for one week, to put aside our selfishness and judgments and help the people around us who are in need.  They are closer than you think, and it's not always money (or healthcare) that they need.  Look with fresh eyes and see the struggling around you, and try to fix it.  The entire world might not change, but one person's world will.  And if history has taught me anything, it's that when you give a bike to the poor kid down the street he could grow up to be Lance Armstrong.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I agree! The problems I have (which I won't discuss here because I doubt anyone cares) with the health care bill have nothing to do with helping those in need. I think we need to help those people who are uninsured. It is not fair to turn someone away for health care because they can not afford help. I just don't understand how people could say that someone should die because "I don't work hard to pay for someone else's healthcare" or "People are just too lazy to help themselves"! Would you tell a child who is sick and needs care but can't afford it no?
Oh and I always give people money if I have it. I try to be an example to my girls, after all who am I tell someone in need no. What they do with the money after I give it to them is up to them. Did Jesus ever question those who asked him for help? Did he ever say he wouldn't help someone because they were not worthy of his help? No. He helped everyone in need no matter what their situation was. If only everyone could be more Christ like to those in need.

Michelle said...

Amen!

Heidi Noel said...

Yes, I have some issues with the Healthcare system, but not helping others. I am so grateful that we have had Medicaid and help from family or I wouldn't have my children or my husband's necessary surgery or many other things. We work hard and some day we will be able to make it without help. But, I have so much more than others.

Morgan said...

Amen, amen, amen!!

Oh, and one more thing, maybe people that are being so ugly about all of this should read this: "And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good--to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted"..

I hope people will stop being so mean and start being more Christlike.

Anna said...

Very nice Pam. I have been amused and saddened by a lot of what has been said lately... but mostly saddened.

Liz said...

Just so you know, Heather gave me your blog address a long time ago. I agree. There are problems I have with the healthcare bill. However, I completely agree with you in acting Christlike. I commented on a friends facebook page yesterday and two people went back and forth calling each other names and being very rude. I then saw another friend who didn't agree with the healthcare bill debate his other friend who agreed with the bill. Both of them were mature and always made sure they weren't offending the other one. I enjoyed reading their comments and felt like a better person because of it. Name calling doesn't get anyone anywhere and only makes you feel more angry.

Grandma Bailey said...

I noticed on the news today that a bunch of the people that voted for the health care bill had their offices vandalized and or received death threats. This is becoming more than just healthcare. It is going to come down to Senators and Representatives losing their jobs in November for not listening to constituents. Is anyone aware that most of these changes don't come about until 2014 and even then the insurance reform (lower premiums for everyone) won't work for the working people. They are also cutting back on Medicare so the older are suffering. Doctors my age are quitting (retiring early) rather than conform to the new rules as they stand today. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Where do I stand? Nowhere. I can't find a copy to read to know what is in it. I keep hearing so many conflicting reports that I don't know what is really in there and what isn't. I don't agree with some of the 'pork'. Those things I have found and the favors that some of the states have garnered are weird and stupid plus they have nothing to do with healthcare.