Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dutch's Happiness

I love being able to read my friend's and family's blogs.  For instance, my friend Ashley and I haven't seen each other in years and I've never met her 1 1/2 year old daughter Ava, but through their blog I get to keep in touch and feel like I know Ava.  Ashley just posted a blog on how her daughter shows true happiness and listed some examples.  Here is how Dutch shows true happiness, and in turn teaches me to be happier.

  • He has the most infectious laugh of anyone I've ever seen.  Last night we were at my in-laws discussing some sort of serious, life-altering things and Dutch just started laughing.  So Chris tickled him to make him laugh harder and soon we were all just laughing at Dutch's laughter.  It is truly one of the most beautiful sounds in this world.  My mom-in-law has suggested multiple times that we make it a ringtone for our cell phones.
  • The other day it was hailing and raining and snowing, all in a given period of a few hours.  I was annoyed that spring had yet to spring, but Dutch went to our sliding glass door, plastered his nose and hands against it and gasped.  "Oh!"  Then he would look for a little longer before saying, "Oh!" again.  It changed my perspective on the weather.
  • As I've said in several different blogs, Dutch is imitating everyone around him.  I didn't see this so clearly until I saw him playing with his orange guy.  For every drink of his sippy cup he took he gave one to his guy.  Then he patted him on the cheek and gave him a hug.  It made me happy that I've been a good example when I share my food and drinks, whatever they are, with him.
  • When Dutch was first born I relished the fact that he made me see the world in a new way.  Over time I've sort of forgotten that.  Then today we were at Wal-Mart picking up a few things and the Express Lane that we were in was anything but express, I was annoyed.  Dutch (who decided to wear his bright orange sun-hat, but that's another story) turned to the man behind us and said "Hiya!" and waved his little monkey fingers at him.  This started a conversation between me and the man and I learned that he was having a very hard time in his life.  His wife was sick so he was buying her an Easter lily.  I paid for my things and went to the car, but it helped me remember that no matter what I have to complain about, it isn't enough.  I am blessed so much more than I am "punished" by life.
So thanks to Ashley for inspiring me to write this blog, and thanks to Dutch for doing these and so many other things that make his world, and mind, a happier place.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

Very sweet. "Be like a child..."