Monday, April 6, 2009

Bad Mommy/Baby Update

Today was Dutch's 9 month well-baby visit. While Dr. Shaver had a lot of really wonderful things to say about my mothering and Dutch's development there were several things that I'm doing wrong, all wrong. I give Dutch a bottle of formula every time he lays down to go to sleep, I bought him a walker and that makes his legs develop wrong, and I've been limiting his diet too much because I'm overly-scared of him choking.

So I'm going to remedy all of those things as soon as possible, starting today with allowing him to feed himself some finger foods. He choked a little once, but coughing made it all better. Right now he's supposed to be down for his afternoon nap and he's in his bed talking to himself because he can't get to sleep without his bottle. I'm looking for stationary bouncy things to replace the walker, which I am going to take the wheels off of and keep it on the carpet so he can't walk in it.

As far as my big baby, here are his new stats: 24 lbs (despite his father's insistence that he would be at least 30 lbs), 30 inches long, and head circumference of 46 cm (he no longer has a ridiculously small head, hooray!). He still eats a bunch for a baby his size, but developmentally he is right on target.

To add insult to injury Dutch is not only saying "Dada" every chance he gets, he's now added "Bobo" to his word repertoire. That's right, I'm the forgotten one.

5 comments:

Grandma Bailey said...

Since you and Heather were my only bottle drinkers I would send you to bed with a bottle with water in it. It is the sugars from juice or milk that are bad - not the sucking. However beware. This is a habit that is really hard to break later on. I wish that I had not been so 'lazy' and had held you in my arms and then laid you down every time - then when I took the bottle away it wouldn't have been so traumatic.

Grandma Brugger got a walker for Heather. It was an older that had been the Neubergers so it only lasted through Heather. You see the damage that walkers can do? I'm teasing. We only used the walker at Mom's so Heather would stay out stuff (it shortened her reach and she didn't pull things off the shelves as much in the walker). After that Mom wanted to keep you all contained in the playpen.

K.E.N said...

We still give Noah a bottle when he goes to sleep. We were told just not to let him fall asleep with it in his mouth-because that's when the acids sit by his teeth and eat away at his enamel. We introduced sippy cups when he was like 10 months and now we are just slowly removing the bottle and he hasn't had a problem. Yesterday he didn't take anything to go to bed/nap. That's the path we hope to continue on. And don't worry, I still cut up Noah's food particularily small because he only has 8 front teeth to chew with and I'm afraid of choking. Until all of his molars come in, I will still be nervous about that.

Heidi Noel said...

Sorry, I knew about the walker, but didn't want to offend you. An exersaucer (spelling?) is better. I don't know why they still make walkers. Did you know your baby weighs as much as Luke? Wow!

Heather said...

Whatever you are a good Mom! Dr. are dumb waht is good one year is bad the next. Like how you are suppose to wait to give them PB until after 1 and now all the sudden they say the long you wait the more likely they will get allergies. Serisously most of it is crap. You do what is right for you and your kids!!! Of course this is coming from someone who breast-fed her babies over a year and still lets her girls co-sleep. LOL!

Ash, O, Ava Jo and Demi Lu said...

Well all i can say is I feel better now as i was told at Ava's 6month check up that was underfeed her!!! But she was spitting up so much we cut back on what we fed her at a time....anyway, I think you're doing just fine!!! Lol. Doctors don't know anything!