Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Husband the PA

Chris had an emergency surgery yesterday and got home a little after 10pm.  Dutch was still awake and calling for Daddy.  Chris, being the sweet sucker that he is, went and rescued him.  It seems neither of my boys could go to bed without spending some time together.

I got to thinking how grateful I am that Chris decided to be a Physican's Assistant instead of a doctor.  The schooling was shorter and cheaper.  He gets to change medical fields whenever he feels like it, and he doesn't have the responsibility of a doctor.  No running a clinic, no malpractice insurance, no being on-call.  Well, he is on-call, but he only has to go in if there's a surgery (like yesterday), whereas his boss has to go in and see any person that walks in the door.  It's very rare for Chris to have a night later than 7pm, but Dr. Warner routinely doesn't get home until 10pm or later.  While I might hate his sporadic hours, I'm very grateful he still only works 40 to 50 hours a week instead of the 80 to 100 that most doctors work, especially residents.  All in all I am very grateful that this is the path we chose.

If you're thinking of going into medicine, I'm telling you, being a PA is the way to go!

No comments: