Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Game of Catch-Up

So the further behind I get in my blogging the less I want to blog. Here's a quick run-down of the two birthdays we had in our house this last week.

I turned 28 last Monday. Though it was a holiday, Chris did not get the day off so we decided to celebrate the Saturday before my birthday. We left Dutch with Grandpa Greg and Grandma Honey and went to lunch together. It was really nice to be out just the two of us. Chris also bought me a dozen white roses, my favorite. It was a very nice, very mellow day.

My actual birthday was not nearly as restful. Dutch woke up two hours earlier than he usually does and decided it was Messy Monday. I literally went from cleaning up one mess to the next the entire day. While I would clean up one he would make another and I kept telling him, "It's my birthday! Be good on Mama's birthday!" This did not phase him at all. The worst and most heartbreaking mess was when he pulled my cake off the counter and it landed on the carpet, frosting side down. Very sad.

My handsome husband is officially an old man! He turned 30 on Saturday. Dutch, to celebrate his Daddy's birthday, woke up at about 5am and didn't want anyone to go back to sleep. All the more time to spend wishing Daddy a happy birthday! He then proceeded to be an absolute terror for the entire morning. Not fun at all. So Chris dropped him off at his mom and dad's and we went out and about. There wasn't really a plan for the day, it was just a time to enjoy each other. Then we went to his mom and dad's for dinner and cake and watching family movies. Dutch still seemed to think that birthday celebration needed to include lots and lots of tantrums. All in all Chris said it was a really wonderful day though.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes, gifts, phone calls and cards. We both felt very loved on our days.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Uh PICTURES! *tapping my foot* I would like to see the gorgeous presents that we got you!

Shelley said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I'm actually really liking being at home, but that could be because he can't really talk back yet and he's not even crawling. I have been reading "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" and I will be reading "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" next so I'll let you know if I learn anything. Dr. Ferber did have a suggestion for kids who like to wander at night. Well, actually, there are progressive suggestions depending on how determined your little guy is on wandering.

The first suggestion was a gate at the door coupled with some other behavioral techniques. I think I recall someone mentioning something like that in the comments of your post. You may have already solved this challenge but I thought I may as well share what I'm reading as not. I'll keep reading and let you know if there is anything else helpful or if I prefer one method to the other.

Maybe for your birthday I will research until I get an answer for how to solve Dutch's sleep issues. ;)

Did you do any "sleep training" when Dutch was small? If so, what did you do and did it work and if it did when did it stop working? I'm trying to decide what approach to take with Will and I'm gathering other's experiences.

Also, please move to California. I miss you. The weather is always nice!