Saturday, January 31, 2009

Double Talk

I've noticed a universal thing that all parents do, myself and Chris included:
We say everything twice.

Not just repeating syllables like mama, dada, baba, num-nums, night-night, jam-jams, etc., but even when we're just talking to Dutch we say everything a second time. I think it's because we're hoping for a reaction the second time. This is how a typical conversation goes:

Me: Dutchie. Dutch! Do you want some cereal?
Dutch: [Ignoring me completely]
Me: Huh? Do you want some num-nums?
Dutch: [Looks my way, then ignores me again]
Me: Yeah, let's go have some num-nums. Mmmm, num-nums.

Sometimes I can get him to laugh, but for the most part he just ignores me or stares at me like I'm an idiot. After reviewing this conversation I have to say that I agree with him. I am an idiot! But then so is everyone who talks to a kid that can't respond.

Idiots unite!

No comments: