Monday, September 15, 2008

Book Review

Book: The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli

Although I finished this book over a month ago I waited until now to review it because I had think about it. I really enjoyed this book, but I had to figure out why. It's barely over 100 pages long, but it tells such a rich and distinct story-line. In fact, you could make the argument that it tells TWO distinct story-lines.

This is the second book that I've read of Donna Jo Napoli's; the other was Zel, her re-telling of Rapunzel and I really loved that book too. The Magic Circle is a re-telling of Hansel & Gretel and, like Zel, is told from the witch's perspective. We all know how Hansel & Gretel ends, and this book is no exception, but it is such a surprising release that you have to read it to experience it.

The book, obviously, centers around goodness and witchcraft and choosing God above all. It's about resisting tempation, but it's not moralizing in a heavy-handed way, it's just matter-of-fact. I think that Napoli is able to do this because it is written from a first-person point-of-view and the character is so simplistic in her view of right and wrong, that it never comes off as condescending.

What I learned about writing: You can make a "bad" character good and vice-versa. If you are talented enough you can tell an in-depth tale in 100 pages. I'm actually going to go back and read this again and again to figure out how she was able to tell such a vivid story in such a small book. Her lyrical use of prose is something else I would love to be able to emulate. It will also be a good "handbook" to learn about unique use of voice; an excellent use of first-person POV; and making a seemingly unlikable protaganist the heroine of the story. This book really amazed me in so many ways and I can't wait to read it again--and get everyone else to read it!

Happy reading!

3 comments:

Cari said...

I'm intrigued - I must say that now I really want to read this book. I'll have to look for it. love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got so much out of Magic Circle.

Since you're planning to reread it anyway, this might be a good opportunity to try an exercise I've heard of that's supposed to help you unlock the secrets to a favorite passage or scene. It's simple. You just copy it by hand, word for word. If you try it, let me know how it works out.

Heidi Noel said...

Yes, gonna pick it up. I have to be good right now though. I have been neglecting things due to reading.