Friday, June 13, 2008

Book Review

Book: Ever by Gail Carson Levine

From the author of Ella Enchanted and Fairest comes a stylistic departure from her fairy tale roots. This book, instead of being based on fairy tales and folk tales as all of her previous books have been, concerns itself more with mythology than anything else. The story is about faith and love and the lives of gods and the humans who love them. Levine made up her own gods to inhabit the mythology of the story, but they are so beautifully done that you could almost believe that they were worshiped somewhere by some people long ago.

As I said before, this is a stylistic departure from her previous works and it was a bit jarring for me at first. The tone was different, but once I got used to the new "voice" of the book I really enjoyed it. There are elements of known myths throughout the story, but it doesn't make the story more predictable or less enjoyable in any way.

If you found her previous books easy reads then this one will be no different. I hope that you like it, if not let me know! Happy reading!

3 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Noel said...

I am sad I missed the chance to meet Levine, but definitely plan on reading this book. I think it is great that you do book reviews. I haven't read anything new in a while.

Heather said...

I am not sure I believe you anymore - The Goose Girl stunk.