Friday, June 6, 2008

Book Review

Since most of you are book buddies with me I thought I would review books as I finish them. The first book I'm reviewing I happened upon in Barnes & Noble when I was wandering around. I have found that this is the best way for me to find books (it's also how I found The Goose Girl). It was also a mere $7.95 for the hardback so I couldn't pass it up! Anyway, here it goes:

Book: The Dark of the Woods Edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
Age: 8-12 or anyone who loves fairy tales!

This is a charming collection of short stories of re-invented, re-imagined and altogether re-worked fairy tales by some great authors. It's a great book to read if you need something that you have to pick up and put down since you can read a story and then come back to the book later. They are all COMPLETELY different stories and it's interesting to see the way that the writers changed the way you view a story (I'll never look at Hansel & Gretel the same again).

Another bonus: Most of them are short enough to be read aloud to little ones. This is especially nice if they already have a favorite fairy tale because now you can show them a different view of their favorite.

So anyway, if you're looking for something quick and fun to read you should pick up this book! Happy reading!

1 comment:

Hayden said...

Guess I'd better go and get the book! Sounds super cute- and I have always loved the books you recommend! Love and miss you tons!