Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Stinking Mother's Day

I don't really like Mother's Day.  I sort of hoped it would become a really cool holiday for me, once I became a mother.  Yeah, it didn't.  Because of my unrealistic expectations it's always a huge let-down.  And 99% of the mother's I know feel the same way.

So let me just tell you what you might not know: the woman who founded Mother's Day hated the fact that it instantly became so commercialized.  So I am going to tell you why I love my mothers, which is the whole point of the holiday.

My mama is the best mama in the whole world.  She's crazy (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), and collects other crazy people.  Mama doesn't judge them, she just loves them.  And that's the way she's always been.  My favorite thing to do when I am with my mom is snuggle.  Chris is not big on physical affection, but I thrive on it.  I just cuddle up next to Mama and she strokes my hair and rubs my back or my arm and we talk.  And it's nice.  Mama is also the best grandma ever.  Even though she doesn't live close to any of her grandbabies she makes a big effort to stay close with them.  She thinks about them all the time and knows each of them individually.  Mama is not perfect, but she was the perfect mother for me.

My mom-in-law Kellie and I have become good friends.  We have a lot of things in common and I think she likes having another girl around to do girlie things with.  We have similar tastes and enjoy a lot of the same things.  Kellie makes everyone comfortable.  All of my friends who have come over at various times over the years have all commented on how nice Kellie is.  Two of my sisters (the two that have met her) have said that if they needed anything they would have no qualms about calling Kellie.  She's loving and lovely.  She is an amazing Grandma Honey to Dutch and she loves him so much.  I am lucky to have a mom-in-law who is so great.

Happy Mother's Day!  I hope yours doesn't suck.

2 comments:

Cari said...

Thanks! I hope that yours doesn't suck any worse. Love you!

Katherine said...

I had a great Mother's Day! I got to have cheesecake for breakfast! And we went on a real date on Saturday (meaning without Joseph) for the first time in forever. I guess it's good for me because I grew up not expecting much because my dads didn't do much, but Mitchell tries really hard to do cute things for me.