Friday, May 14, 2010

Grandma Morgan

Yesterday Chris's maternal grandmother passed away.  Grandma Morgan was one of the sweetest, most hilarious people I've ever known.  She was the first person in Chris's family to love me and I've always had a special place in my heart for her.  If Dutch had been a girl we would have named her after May.

It's always hard when you lose a loved one, but this was a case of her being in a lot of pain and suffering for a while.  Even though I knew it was going to happen soon I still found myself taken off guard when it happened.  I cried and Chris held me and Dutch, not really understanding, came over and sat on my lap.

May always had the best stories.  She was one of those people who lived at full speed and had tons of stories about it.  Since her stroke six and half years ago she's had to slow down and she hated it.  But she never lost her sense of humor.  Never.

On Wednesday we all went over to say our good-byes, because they were pretty sure she wouldn't last the weekend.  She wasn't really moving or speaking at all when we got there, and she hadn't been for a while.  When she saw Dutch she just lit up!  She said his name and waved to him.  He waved and blew kisses and tried to climb into bed with her.  I will always be grateful that he wasn't afraid seeing her that way, because it brought her so much joy.

There are a million and one things I want to say about Grandma Morgan, but I think I will keep those to myself.  She was an amazing woman, with an amazing heart, who lived an amazing life.  I will miss her terribly, but I'm glad I was lucky enough to know her.

3 comments:

Grandma Bailey said...

Anyone that knew Grandma Morgan was blessed and their life enriched because of her. I will always be grateful I had the opportunity of knowing her both before and after her stroke. My life is better for it.

Heidi Noel said...

Whatever you have "writers block". That was beautiful and me cry even though I have never met her. I love you.

Walker Family said...

I was so sad when my mom told me about Grandma Morgan. I always loved it when she was at their house and I was there hanging out with Chris.