Monday, June 22, 2009

The Books and a Grinder

This picture has nothing to do with anything. I just like it.

Dutch can reach up to the second shelf on the bookshelf. At first I was really annoyed by this and kept slapping his hand and saying "NO!" when he pulled the books off. After losing this battle and having Dutch laugh repeatedly at my attempts at discipline, I decided to remove all the books from the bottom two shelves.

Then I replaced them with all of his board books. Now he is happy as a bear at a honey farm! He pulls his books down onto the floor. Stops to "read" a few of them, sometimes out loud (Ba-da-da-oo-oo. Yea! Yea!) and then he leaves them scattered until he moves on to the next thing. Chris and I have a place for all of Dutch's toys so it's really easy clean up at the end of the day. Because he's entertained by bizarre things we've stopped buying him toys and mainly just buy him books now. And food. Lots and lots of food.

Some of you might not know that I sometimes grind my teeth when I sleep. It's a terrible habit and I have no control over it, I can't even do it while awake! Dutch now has two bottom teeth and one top tooth and he's started, can you guess? Grinding his teeth! It's creepy and annoying and it makes me worry about his little enamel. Chris says it's like nails on a chalkboard. I'm not sure how to get him to stop.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

Heather said...

There is no way to stop him. Both of my girls did and it drove me nuts! You can try to distract him but beyond that you will just have to wait for him to out grow it. His teeth are new and right now the grinding is fun for him. But I agree with Chris it is like nails on a chalkboard!

K.E.N said...

When Noah does it, we just tap his bottom jaw and tell him to stop. It only takes a few taps to get him to stop right then. We do have to do it everytime he grinds them, but I have noticed that he does it less often. Might just be a Noah thing though.