Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Feeling Bad About Feeling Bad

I had my ultrasound on Monday morning, bright and early so Chris wouldn't be late for work (which he was anyway).  Before I tell you about it, let me tell you about Dutch's ultrasound, something I've never blogged about.

When I got pregnant with Dutch I KNEW that my baby was little Ivy Mae and she was going to be a red-head and the cutest little thing on the planet.  I planned out her nursery (black, red, and white with Olivia accessories), I started thinking about all of the cute clothes I would buy her, and the great books we would read together.  Chris luckily prevented me from buying anything that wasn't gender neutral, otherwise I would have had a lot of girl clothes I could never use!

When we got to the dark room where they were going to do the ultrasound the tech asked if I wanted to know the gender.  "Yes," I said, "but it's a girl."  She then proceeded to do the exam.  As I saw her looking at the baby from all different angles I said, "Is that what I think it is?"  Yup, it was a boy.

I cried.  Just one little tear while we were in the room, but I was devastated.  (Just as a funny side-note, when we left the building I saw a sign for Weiner Real Estate, which is probably pronounced "whiner," but it made me bawl.)

Of course I got over it and love my Dutchie so much I can't imagine life without him.  But I still really want a girl.  With this pregnancy I was cautiously hopeful that it was my little Scout Rowe.  Chris has been worried that I would be disappointed if it was another boy.  The night before the ultrasound I had an overpowering feeling that it was a boy.  I cried again.

The ultrasound confirmed that it's another boy.  I tried so hard not to feel bad, because I feel guilty for feeling bad.  My baby boy is healthy and perfect and there are people who have always wanted a boy who will never get one.  I can't help it though, I want a baby girl.

Pretty soon I'll accept the fact that it's a boy and start getting excited.  Just give me a few days.

4 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I love you. I feel like it is my fault because I had the girl that should have been yours this time. It is okay to feel bad. You have 4+ months to get excited after that.

Cari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cari said...

I understand how you feel! I was really, really upset when I got pregnant after Noah. Then I miscarried and felt even worse. Don't feel bad - you will love him very, very much when he arrives! I love you!

Heather said...

It is ok to feel bad. I was a mess with Evie. I wanted her to be a boy for Brandon because I thought is what he wanted. BUT I also wanted her to be a girl for me. At the time I didn't think I could handle a boy so I was relieved when I found out she was a girl. BUT I also felt bad that Brandon was disappointed (briefly) that it was another girl. Of course we had 4 months to get ready for another girl and for both of us to be excited for her her arrival.

I think the timing on ultrasounds is perfect as it gives you time to adjust to what you are having.