Friday, December 17, 2010

Uncharted Territory

It's always a good day when I get to spend it with my family.  Yesterday Dutch and I attended a birthday party for my cousin's son Joseph.  We got to see lots of family and it was awesome.

I would like to say that Dutch was a sweetie who did not hit, shove, or kick anyone.  I would like to say that he did not have to go to time-out five times and that he was very generous with his sharing.  Of course, I can't.  My big guy was a big bully and hit and kicked and shoved both Joseph and Athena (but mostly Athena, she's more his size, I guess).  It was embarrassing and infuriating in equal parts.

So the question of the week is: how do I get my sweet boy to stop hitting EVERYONE (including Chris, Bo, and me)?  Is there a tried and true method to stop my Dutchie from being a big fat bully?

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Yes, time will take care of it. As soon as you figure out the right way to teach him to share and be kind he will just grow out of it on his own and he will come up with something new for you to worry about.

Cari said...

I agree with Aunt Marianne. Consistency and time. Eventually, he'll stop if you continue to discipline when it happens. Nathanael's particular vice was biting. He bit everyone for two whole years. It made being with friends and family so much fun!

Grandma Bailey said...

We have a sister in the ward that is having a hard time with her son hitting and shoving so when he is in time out he is to sit with his hands on his knees or folded, so that he knows that his hands are not what the problem is. It is actually getting better. She physically folds them or places them on his knees and explain to him that you do not use your hands for that. The other day he was in time out for something else and I noticed his hands were on his knees (He had done it automatically) - it made me laugh.

Heather said...

Baby fight club! Just find a bigger bully than Dutch (that is still his age) to put him in his place. ;)