Monday, August 30, 2010

Dutch's Evaluation

Last week a very sweet speech pathologist named Sarah came and evaluated my little boy.  Here are the results after she played with him for an hour.

Gross Motor: 84%
Fine Motor: 57%
Cognitive (Attention/Learning Tasks): 33% (she said she suspected this was a lot higher, but he was pretty much done by the time she got to these games)
Receptive Language (what he understands): 50%
Expressive Language (what he uses): 1%
Self Help: 62%
Social/Emotional: 61%

I'll be honest, I have no idea what any of this means, except that he is going to have someone come once a week to work on his expressive language.  Anyone have any information to enlighten me?  (I'm looking at you Ms. Hayden Jensen!)

Tune in tomorrow for the best things about Las Vegas, from Dutch's perspective.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I have a nephew who sounds pretty similar to Dutch. He started having speech therapy to work on his expressive language just a year ago (when he was 3... and he was still just at 1%). A year later you would not believe he ever struggled at all. It's amazing!

Good luck to you and little Dutchie!!!

Hayden said...

Why are you looking at me? Just kidding! That's great that they will come once a week- down south...I only go once, maybe twice a month- where do they get their funding? Call me! We can chat and I can answer your questions! Love ya! Let's play soon!!!

Melodie Anne said...

I too had a nephew who was slow to speak when he was about Dutch's age. Now I think his poor mother wishes the therapy hadn't been quite so effective because he never stops!

Also, the boy is a genius. He had finished I think two of the Harry Potter books on his own before he entered kindergarten. Slow to speak does not mean slow to learn! I'm sure Dutch will be a Chatty Kathy before you know it.

Morgan said...

Pam, those results sound almost EXACTLY like Brents did. We started him with early intervention when he had just turned 2. His receptive language skills were normal but his expressive were just about as low as you can get (I'm not sure what the numbers were, but I'm assuming they were about like Dutch's- around 1%). I stressed out so much UNNEEDLESSLY.. I worried if there was an underlying problem making his expressive skills so low. To make a long story short, a year later, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY.. He is speaking in full sentences and I am amazed at how far he has come! He still goes to speech therpy but his therapist thinks by the time he is in kindergarten, he won't need it any longer. Anyway, this is a REALLY long comment, but basically the moral of the story is that it is AWESOME that you got him help early because he will make GREAT strides! And a year from now, you will be in my shoes, looking back and marveling at how far he has come!! GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you ever have any questions. :)