Sunday, December 13, 2009

Get Comfortable

I have a lot to post about, so go grab some cocoa and a blanket and curl up next to your computer as I tell you the story of the last week.

Dutch and I left Pennsylvania on Wednesday, bright and early. We flew from Pittsburgh to Phoenix, from Phoenix to Pittsburgh. I don't think it would be exaggerating in any way to say that it was the worst day of my life. Dutch threw tantrum after tantrum, hurling things around, and bit me... three times... twice on the face... once drawing blood. It was so difficult I just broke down and cried. I was obviously not meant to be a single mom. Without Chris everything was about 10 times harder than it needed to be. Lucky for me (and Dutch, since I was close to killing him), he slept the entire hour flight from Phoenix to Salt Lake. When we got to the airport he was very excited to see Grandpa Greg and went right to him.

The next couple of days were sort of a blur of tiredness and naughtiness. Dutch was not sleeping or napping as he should, because he missed his Daddy and his Bo-Bo. He was wary around Uncle Joshy, but is in love with Josh's girlfriend Dawn. Every time he sees her his face lights up. Thanks to flying with a bunch of sick people Dutch and I both got colds, again. He's almost over his whereas mine seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Saturday Dutch went to a live nativity and got to see a camel, ride a wagon pulled by horses, and get his picture taken. Although he doesn't seem too enthused in the picture I think he had a good time.

Today was the biggest news though. At our church there is something called Nursery where children from 18 months to 3 years go so their parents can enjoy church a little more. Dutch is only 17 1/2 months, but the sweet girl who runs Nursery said he was welcome to come. Grandpa Greg took him and snuck out part way through. Dutch stayed the whole time and didn't even cry! When I went to pick him up he was fast asleep. I was such a proud mama. My little baby is growing up!

In other news, Zaque and Chris have been driving cross-country the past few days, and are planning on arriving tomorrow night. The weather has been good, the truck has run well and they are having a good time together.

Some of you may know that Bo, our blind chocolate lab, suffered from abuse before we rescued him. One sign of this abuse is his extreme fear of being abandoned. Every time we move he gets so panicked that he won't eat. This time has been no exception. Chris said he wouldn't even get out of the moving truck for the first day they were on the road. Poor Bo.

Dutch is walking up a storm! He's been practicing running and even climbed up the basement stairs, although he hasn't been brave enough to try going down yet. Whack the Cat has been incredibly patient with Dutch, and this has encouraged Dutch to chase him down and "love" on him as often as possible. So far he hasn't gottten scratched, but if he continues being as rough as he's been I'm sure he'll get clawed eventually.

That's our update. Now that life is starting to mellow out I'll hope to post a little more often.


I'm grateful for: NyQuil, DayQuil, cough drops, tissues, naps

1 comment:

Cari said...

I am so sorry that you are sick! Carlye is, too, and having a rough time getting over it. Thankfully all the crazy part is over (mostly) and now you can settle in. I love you!