Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Bully in a China Shop

I frequently see articles and advertisements about making sure your kid isn't being bullied. None of them tell you what to do when your kid IS the bully!

Dutch's best friend is Bo the Wonder Dog. He hasn't spent much time with other kids. Unfortunately, he is bigger than most kids his age and even some kids older than him. When you combine his lack of social skills with his enormous size, apparently you get a bully.

Christmas day we were at Grandma and Grandpa Davis's house. Brandon, 2 1/2, and Ashlyn, 2, were the only other children besides Dutch. At one time or another in the evening Dutch pushed them both down. I was so embarrassed.

Luckily Brandon and Ashlyn were able to take care of themselves in the situation and didn't hold a grudge against Dutch. Their parents were nice about it too, but I still feel awful. How do I stop my baby from being a bully?

2 comments:

Just Julie said...

I think it's a lost cause; he clearly inherited the bully gene from his mother, who punches people just to prove a point.
(Please know that this is said facetiously)

Heather said...

All kids go through this phase. Some push, some bite, some hit, some kick but one thing is for sure they all do it at one point or another. Bella was a pusher and it was super upsetting to me. I don't really remember doing anything specifically to get her to stop. I just corrected her and reminded her to be nice or we would leave and eventually she outgrew it.
Evie is a hitter and we still randomly have problems with this. I have to remind her to use her words not her size to let people know what she wants! She struggles but is getting better.
Don't worry too much about it just remind him to be nice and for heavens sake get that boy some real human kids to play with so he
learns how to behave around them!