Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Blue Christmas

I'll have a blue Christmas without you.
I'll be so blue thinking about you.
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree,
Won't mean a thing if you're not here with me.

My three sisters, at one time or another this Christmas season, have each been struck by an unexplainable melancholy. Well, perhaps it's not unexplainable. We miss each other. I hadn't suffered from this at all. Until tonight.

I was sitting at the dinner table at Grandma and Grandpa Morgan's house and someone observed that it was the first time everyone had been together for Christmas for a few years. For some reason this made me want to cry. I don't remember the last time my entire family was all together for Christmas. If I'm not completely mistaken, I think it was when I was 10 years old.

Not all families are close like mine is. Not all sisters love each other like mine do. Some people dread family events. I never have. So I make a Christmas wish right now: I wish I had one more Christmas with my entire family. Just one.

3 comments:

Cari said...

I miss you. When I was with Popi and the Dittmars at the wedding I was wishing for the same thing. I love you so much, and I wish along with you.

Heidi Noel said...

That made me cry a little. I wished the same thing. Andy and I realized that this is the first Christmas we have ever spent with all of his family. Wouldn't that be nice for us, too?

Heather said...

So when should we all plan to visit Carianne for Christmas? After her new big house is built.
I miss you Pammy!