Monday, January 7, 2013

Being "Internet-Free" and What It Means to Me

For the month of December I went off-line. I use that term loosely, however, since I still used my computer, phone, and Kinldle Fire quite a bit during the month. Basically it was meant to be a break from mindless time spent on the computer on Facebook, on Pinterest, reading blogs, and playing games.

Here's what changed:

  • Then: I would get on my computer first thing in the morning. I wouldn't do anything else until I checked Facebook, my email, Pinterest, my personal blogs, everyone else's blogs, and any other sites I was crazy about at the moment.
  • Now: I didn't even think about getting on the computer today until well into the afternoon, and that was only because I had to check for an email I was expecting.
  • Then: I would lose myself in x for hours on end.
  • Now: Unless it's a movie/TV show, I'm on my computer for about 10 minutes at a time. Maybe.
  • Then: Constantly behind my laptop screen.
  • Now: Playing on the floor with my buddies.
  • Then: Small panic attack if I didn't check x ever few hours.
  • Now: I could go days without any of it and I wouldn't feel out of the loop at all.
All in all my month off helped put things back in perspective for me. In December I actually misplaced my computer for days and didn't notice until I needed to print something off. Dutch and I bonded over building Lego, especially when he realized I could look up the instructions on "the 'puter." Dane sat on my lap for almost an hour while we read books together. Chris and I spend more quality time together, instead of sitting side by side, but worlds away.

I would recommend "unplugging" to anyone who feels like technology has taken over their life.

3 comments:

Just Julie said...

I went off for about a week (basically Facebook) and it was SO freeing! Congrats to you for a whole month. Although I missed your online presence in my life :)

pambelina said...

That's one of the things I forgot to mention! I felt a small disconnect with some of my family and friends. That's one thing Facebook has been really great for - keeping up with people.

K.E.N said...

What a great idea. I think about you often...I really enjoyed working with you a million years ago at the U.