Monday, August 29, 2011

Dutch's First Day of School

 I told him to look at me and this is what he did.

He was trying to pull Bo into the picture.

Today was Dutch's first day of pre-school. He is in Ms. Gretchen's class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:30 to 1:45. On Saturday we took him to pick out a backpack (the only school supply he needed). He surprised no one by picking a Toy Story one with Buzz and Woody on it. 

This morning he decided he wanted to wear his Percy (the train from Thomas and Friends) underwear instead of a diaper. I was wary, but said yes. He did great this morning and didn't have any accidents, so I told him he could go to school in them too. I warned one of his paraeducators, Barbara (a friend of my mom-in-laws) that he was not 100% potty trained.

When I went to pick him up I saw he was still in his same outfit. Hooray! But it turns out they were taking him inside to change him. They weren't sure if he'd had an accident because they'd been playing in water, but they changed him just to be sure. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was just water! ;)

They said that he did great and was a sweetheart! Then in the car on the way home I asked him what he did at school today and he said, just as clear as can be, "I played with toys." I started crying! It was the first time he'd referred to himself as "I" and the first time he'd used a full sentence like that without prompting. It was a little miracle that made the day perfect.

By the way, when I dropped him off I did not cry OR jump for joy, although I was sure I would end up doing one or the other. I think this is going to be a great school year!

4 comments:

Cari said...

Yay, Dutch! I am so proud of you! What a great first day of school!

Just Julie said...

Dutch is SO cute! Congrats on the first day of school!

Marianne said...

Dutch, I am proud of you, too. And I am happy for you, Pam, and proud of you, too.

Tara Mogle said...

this brought tears to my eyes and I don't even know Dutch, except through your blog.

way to go Dutch!

happy school year to both of you.