Monday, June 21, 2010

Oh What a Day! Oh What a Morning!

Dutch usually takes a bath every morning because he makes a HUGE mess with his breakfast.  He doesn't do this with any other meal, just breakfast.  After his breakfast this morning (and his very fun day yesterday) he was in desperate need of some tub time.  I plopped him in the tub, and went into our bedroom to put some laundry away.  I came back in a couple of minutes later and he had Chris's razor in his hand.  I took it away and put mine out of his reach.

Or so I thought.

I went to get his little chair so I could sit next to the tub and wash his hair and all of that.  I was not gone longer than 10 seconds, when I heard him yell, "Da! Hey Da!" (which is what he calls both Chris and me since he's stopped saying Mama, but more on that another time).  "I'm coming, buddy."  I said as I grabbed the chair and went back into the bathroom.

Picture this: My tall, skinny little almost-two-year-old with blood EVERYWHERE.  All over him, all over the edge of the bathtub.  I'm terrified of blood as it is, but to see my little guy covered in it was the most scared I've ever been.  I immediately ordered myself to calm down and in a very soothing voice I told him to sit back down and we'd wash him off.  Luckily the blood was coming from his thumb and nowhere else.  He'd cut himself with my razor.

My first instinct was to call Chris and make him rush home and take care of this, but since it was his first day of work I didn't want to force him into making a bad impression.  I was optimistically lying to myself that I could handle it.  I wrapped Dutch in a towel, wrapped his profusely bleeding thumb in a washcloth and took him into his bedroom.  I put three Band-Aids on his finger and he bled through all of them.  Not to mention he wouldn't quit messing with his thumb so blood was getting everywhere.

I remembered after we first got Bo he cut his paw and we couldn't get him to stop licking it, so we wrapped it with a washcloth and duct-taped it on.  I didn't think I could duct-tape Dutch's hand, but I did put a matchless sock on his hand to help deter any further picking on his part.

I calmly got him dressed and all ready to go.  I ran around the house trying to find his insurance card.  Where was it?  I had just seen it the other day when Chris had put it away... I called Chris and left a message.  I texted Chris.  I kept looking and ta-da!  So with Dutch, his insurance card, and my keys I went out to the car.

Remember how earlier I said it was Chris's first day of work?  Well we only have one car... See where I'm going with this?

So I bring Dutch back inside, still trying to distract him from taking the sock of his hand, and began calling people.  Anyone I could think of who would be home and able to take us to the urgent care center.  Dutch's hand still hadn't stopped bleeding and I was beginning to think there was some artery I didn't know about in the tip of his thumb that had been severed.

Long story short, Grandpa Greg came to the rescue!  We were in and out of the urgent care in less than an hour.  Dutch flirted shamelessly with the nurse who patched him up.  Most importantly, he didn't need stitches!

Did I mention this all happened before 1:00?  And Dutch still hasn't had a decent bath today.

No comments: