Friday, January 29, 2010

The Saddest Sound in the World

This morning I was awakened by the saddest sound in the world: Bo howling.  Now if you've ever heard Bo (our blind chocolate lab) howl you know it's the saddest sound in the world.  If you haven't heard Bo howl, allow me to try to put into words the depressiveness of it. 

First of all, he only does it when he's positive he's alone.  When he feels that he's been left behind and abandoned.  (Why he was doing it this morning when there were at least 4 of us here is beyond me.) 

Secondly, because he doesn't do it very often, his voice sounds very scratchy.  It's not what you think a howl should sound like at all.  It's more like a very hoarse elephant blasting a call. 

Lastly, and saddest of all, he was doing this right outside my bedroom door.  When I opened the door he hurried onto the bed, curled up at my feet and promptly fell asleep.  He's still asleep on my bed now.  Poor Bo-Bo.

No comments: