Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Book Review

Book: The Magic Three of Solatia by Jane Yolen

This book was really intriguing to me because it is essentially four tales that can be taken separately and stand completely on their own, but are used to tell a whole story. It was interesting to me in regards to the book that I'm writing because everything that Jane Yolen does in this novel I was asked not to do by my first mentor! She tells this story very much in fairy tale language and that can be such a detriment to most writers, but Yolen is the Queen of Fairy Tales and can get away with things that no other writer can.

A lot of time I can predict where a book is going and what is going to be done, but in this book I found myself being surprised at every turn. This was a quick read, but powerfully written and the imagery and ideas have stayed with me even though it's been a few weeks since I read it.

As a writer it has given me a few ideas for my own stories, just by the fact that she did make such interesting choices in her plot and with her characters. The best books inspire and this one did that for me.

3 comments:

Cari said...

Cool review - I'll have to try to find it

Grandma Bailey said...

I love her work. I need to find this book.

Jessica Freely said...

I'm glad you enjoyed The Magic Three of Solatia and that it gave you some ideas for your own novel.

I would like to see you dig deeper with these reading journals, however. According to our contract, each one is supposed to be at least two pages long (approximately 500 words.) I'm not going to nit pick word counts with you but I would like to see you get into some specifics.

Here are some questions to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. What images stuck with you and why do you think that is? Specifically what ideas did you get for your own work? What choices did you find interesting and how do they compare or contrast with choices you've made in your own novel?

Best,

Anne H.