Monday, May 26, 2008

A Best Friend

I intended to write a blog about our recent trip to Utah. We visited Chris's family and had a baby shower and got generally spoiled rotten. But I don't want to write about that right now; I'll do that later.

Right now I want to write about the book I'm reading. It's called "Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year" by Anne Lamott. I bought it because I enjoy her writing and because on the back it talked about how she had to get used to the idea of having a boy - just like I did. I'm not even 30 pages into the book, but I put it down specifically to write this blog.

I miss having a best friend close enough to walk or drive to their house. I am so lucky to have a wide array of friends that serve all purposes in my life. I sincerely believe I have the most understanding, funny, and interesting friends on the planet. But none of them are here in Pennsylvania.

To be honest I haven't really tried all that hard to make friends. I spend most of my days writing and growing my baby and I am content with that. But when reading about Lamott's best friend Pammy I get nostalgic for my own best friends. Yes, Chris is my "best friend" but he's not a girl and he doesn't understand some of the things that I'm going through. Not the way another woman would.

Anyway, this isn't a pity-party just a heartfelt thanks to all of my best friends out there. I love you and miss you and wish you were here!

3 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

If I am included in the best friend thing I miss you too. I consider my three sisters my best friends. You all understand me in different ways. I love you!

Cari said...

I miss you, too! It took me four years to find my Jodi, even though I had friends in other places. I have a great idea - come live here (haha). I miss you, too. Love you!

Just Julie said...

Love you Pammy! You're incredible and I hope to be out there soon!