Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Dutchie

I can't upload pictures to my blog. I have a very funny blog about Dutch cutting his own hair, but it just doesn't work without pictures. This blog would be so much better with a precocious picture of Dutch. Instead you'll just have to imagine one.

The other day I had an acquaintance asking me if I was every bitter that Dutch was autistic. The question knocked me back. Of course I'm not bitter! I don't think of Dutch's autism as something negative that makes him more difficult to deal with, I see it as part of who he is and it shapes a lot of his personality. I worry about him, of course, but what mother doesn't worry about her child?

Dutch does not have full-blown autism, but he is on the autism spectrum. His autism is most prevalent in his (lack of) speech and in his social skills. There are other things as well, but those are the main ones. In the year since he was diagnosed I don't feel like that knowledge has changed my behavior toward him at all. Perhaps it's made me more understanding when he has a meltdown, but I still treat him (and discipline him) as I always have.

Tuesday Dutch started his second year of early-intervention pre-school. After his first day of school last year I asked him what he did at school. I didn't expect an answer, but Dutch said, clear as a bell, "I played with toys." I started to cry. It was the most words he'd put together on his own EVER. It's amazing to think that was only a year ago. He's come so far since then.

I'm grateful for the wonderful program the school has in place. I'm grateful for supportive family and friends who understand Dutch's quirks and love him for them. I'm grateful for Dutch's hard work and how much he tries. I'm grateful because I'm so lucky.

2 comments:

Emilie said...

I have found that moms whose children are healthy, well-adjusted, and (big quotes here) "normal" tend to stress about every little thing and worry about whether their kids will keep on this "normal" track. Moms whose kids have health problems, developmental delays, or trauma of some kind in their background tend to react as you have here--with perspective, gratitude, and a sense of genuine joy at each new milestone. Thank you for the encouragement as we continue praying for whoever God has chosen to be our baby:)

Just Julie said...

Awww. Dutchie.